Wednesday 23 March 2011

American Idiot Cover

The Cover
American Idiot Cover


The cover for American Idiot is shown left.

I did this a couple of months ago, and not really got any feedback on it or even really spoke about it.  So here it goes.

The silhouette is the main character, I decided to go down the silhouette route for the cover to show a certain level of mystery about the story and to show that the character doesn't really know where he is mentally and the story really shows off the roller coaster ride.

The vertical American flag is a reference to the Green Day music video 'American Idiot.' I decided to make the flag red to elaborate the love story that goes on in the book between 'Whatsername' and the main character.  The grunge is to retain the dirty messy style of contemporary Green Day/American Idiot artwork but I did it in a way that it has my own twist on it, with the tops of buildings at the bottom.

I'm unsure about the Typeface, it seems not full enough, if that makes sense, maybe because it appears grainy.  But it seems to fit.  I chose it because its the Typeface used on the album cover, however, part of me doesn't agree with it, I'm a funny git when it comes to type.  It takes me ages to find something that works and when I do find something that looks OK, I'm a little unsure.

Feedback welcome.  Destroy me.

JT

2 comments:

  1. Try using "earth kid" from dafont.com for the typeface. That's a bit more masculine and modern. It would match the textures that you've used. - Emma from work btw x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers emma lad.... ISZH!!! x

    ReplyDelete